The Johnstown Tomahawks Internship Program provides students with the opportunity to gain valuable, first-hand experience working in the field of sports. Those college students wishing to pursue careers in Sports Management, PR/Communications, Community Relations and Game-Day Events, and Sales/Marketing are encouraged to apply. Our interns are an integral part of the Tomahawks organization and are given the opportunity to directly contribute their knowledge and talents to the team. We are seeking highly-motivated and hard-working individuals who share a passion for hockey and a desire to further their education.
Please find brief descriptions of various intern responsibilities by department below.
Exact hours and time requirements vary depending on the type of internship, but all interns must be available for some office hours and game nights, with the exception of summer interns. All internships are unpaid, and interns must be receiving college credit.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, please feel free to call (814) 536-4625 if you have any questions or concerns.
Communications/Public Relations Internship
The goal of this internship is to provide students with experience and to develop skills in various applications of written and visual communication. Through a combination of weekday office hours and game day responsibilities, interns will be exposed and contribute to various marketing, communications, and public relations projects. All candidates should have reliable transportation, flexible schedules, and access to a laptop computer. Access to Adobe suite preferred but not required. Experience with graphic design or multimedia production preferred.
- Help coordinate and facilitate media coverage of the team, including the tracking and gathering of all media written/produced about the team, and the creation and distribution of informational materials to be used by the media or other officials.
- Maintaining and utilizing information database including team and player statistics.
- Help edit, proof, and generate ideas and content for Tomahawks publications, correspondences, and website content, including press releases, newsletters, and feature stories for the Game Day program.
- Managing, editing, and organizing the team’s database of photos and other graphic materials.
- Assist in website and social media updates, as well as other external communications.
- Contribute to video production projects, including television commercials, online videos and game broadcasts.
- Development and design of various graphics, images, and marketing materials and promotional advertisements for the team and its sponsors.
- Assist with the creation and development of advertising and marketing campaigns.
- Assist with production of group ticket sign up forms and fliers
- Assist with community events and other special projects for various Tomahawks departments as needed.
- Experience with and access to Adobe software, especially Photoshop and InDesign, is preferred.
- Exemplary writing skills and experience with journalistic and creative-nonfiction writing styles.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
Business Operations / Marketing & Sales Internship
The goal of this internship is to provide students with experience and to develop skills in various aspects of business operations, including generating sales, developing sales and promotional plans, andparticipating in game day events and activities. All candidates should have reliable transportation, flexible schedules, and access to a laptop computer.
- Assisting with creating and implementing plans to generate ticket sales, especially amongst community groups and other organizations.
- Conducting phone calls and appointments to generate ticket sales and sponsorship sales, and maintaining detailed records of all contacts.
- Staff sales and customer service tables during game days, events, and other community appearances.
- Distribution of promotional materials on behalf of the team and its sponsors.
- Selling merchandise, tickets, and sponsorships to clients, fans, and other individuals.
- Assist with game-day operations, including intermission activities, contests, giveaways, and other promotions.
- Assist with scheduling, organizing, and running community appearances and other events.
- Assist with daily office operations, including merchandise inventory, game log updates, game set up, and game scripts.
- Experience with and access Microsoft Office software.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.