Apr 17, 2021

After clinching their playoff berth in the Robertson Cup Playoffs Friday night, the Johnstown Tomahawks end the weekend with another win over the New Jersey Titans Saturday by a score of 4-3.

Saturday night’s game had a bit of a different start than Friday night’s as the game’s first goal wasn’t scored until the 12:40 mark of the 1st period, as Jared Gerger scored his seventh goal of the season off the redirect of Ethan Webb’s initial shot. Shortly after, Johnstown’s Jay Ahearn was called for a tripping minor on which New Jersey’s Blake Humphrey scored yet another power play goal for the Titans this weekend, tying things up at one just a few minutes later. The 1st period was another one with ample shots on goal, 10 for New Jersey and 15 for Johnstown. Although each team only scored one goal in the opening period, this was just the beginning for both teams.

Just under six minutes into the 2nd period, the Tomahawks would take another penalty. A delay of game minor was called to John Gelatt. Both the fans and the Johnstown bench disagreed with the call. The Tomahawks successfully killed off the penalty and as it ended, Gelatt came flying out of the box, going down the ice and putting the puck past New Jersey’s netminder Louden Hogg to get the lead back for the Tomahawks with 12 minutes remaining in the 2nd period. Roughly five minutes later, Brad Zona was called for roughing as he hit Jay Ahearn from behind, sending him into the boards. Brendan Clark also received a roughing minor for coming to the defense of his teammate afterwards. Not long after the coincidental roughing penalties expired, Matthew Iasenza was sent to the box for holding, giving the Tomahawks their first power play opportunity of the game with just over four minutes remaining in the period. It took Ahearn just 16 seconds to convert on the man-advantage, extending the Tomahawks lead to two. The two-goal lead didn’t last for long though, as Nick Seitz score for New Jersey just 62 seconds later, making it a one goal game again at 3-2 to end the 2nd period.

Only 48 seconds into the 3rd and final period, New Jersey’s Cade Penney was sent to the penalty box for hooking. Just over halfway through the penalty, Brendan Clark extended the Tomahawks lead back to two, scoring his 14th goal of the season to make it 4-2 Hawks. 9:41 into the period, Tomahawks’ defenseman Max Smolinski was called for roughing, giving the Titans another power play opportunity, to which they took advantage. Caleb Price scored New Jersey’s seventh power play goal of the weekend, with all three of Saturday night’s goals thus far coming on the advantage. The Titans would make a solid effort to tie the game back up before time ran out, but weren’t able to find the net one more time, allowing the Tomahawks to come away with a 4-3 win.

The Tomahawks are back next weekend at 1ST SUMMIT ARENA for another pair of games against the Maine Nordiques, Friday at 7:30 PM and Saturday at 7 PM. As always, tickets can be purchased online at Ticketmaster.com, or by calling/visiting the Tomahawks office.