The North American Hockey League (NAHL) conducted its 2012 Entry Draft online. A total of 172 players were drafted in 16 rounds.
Each team is allowed 30 players per team and is able to draft as many players as it has under the 30 as of midnight the day before the draft. Draft order is selected by reversing the standings at the end of the prior season with the order of new teams being chosen by lottery (giving the first selection of each round to the new team if there is only one that season). The rosters must then be reduced to 25 by September 1 of the upcoming season.
The new NAHL team, Johnstown Tomahawks, selected 18th in the first round and were eligible to draft and selected a total of nine players in nine rounds ending in Round 9. It is interesting to note that the Tomahawks selected two local players from the Pittsburgh area. Here are those results:
- Ian Spencer, D (Indiana Ice – USHL); pick traded from the Janesville Jets(the Tomahawks traded David Jacobson, G, to the Odessa Jackalopes)
- Garrett Cox, F (Dallas StarsU18); 38th overall
- NO SELECTION – traded Ryan Ruck, G, to the Minot Minotauros
- Markus Tomaschek, F (NJ Junior Titans); 79th overall
- Shayne Bailey, D (Boston AdvantageU18); 96th overall
Jeff Alderfer, D (Springfield Junior Pics– EJHL); 99th overall
- Joe Bender, F (Pittsburgh Viper StarsU18); 111th overall
- Jaycob McCombs, F (DC CapitalsU18 AAA); 124th overall
- Ryan Polin, D (Lansing CapitalsU18); 135th overall
- Jonathan Stickel, F (Pittsburgh HornetsU18); 145th overall
Teams in the league not only select players through the NAHL draft, but they each also hold open tryout camps that unselected players and / or any player may attend (unless otherwise restricted by “invitation only”).
Johnstown Tomahawks will conduct their camps in three different locations on three separate dates.
June 15 – 17 at Ice Castle Arena in Pittsburgh, PA
July 6 – 8 at Dakota! Sport & Fitness Ice Skating Rink in Prior Lake, MN
July 13 – 15 at Howell Ice World in Farmingdale, NJ
The NAHL’s regular season begins at the beginning of September.