Mar 13, 2021

The Johnstown Tomahawks completed the weekend sweep, winning a tightknit game against the Maryland Black Bears Saturday night in overtime, thanks to forward Will Margel.

After last night’s contest, both teams came out Saturday night hungry for a win. Early in the game there were great chances for both sides, but none being better than Holt Oliphant’s attempt to find the back of the net that was so close, the goal horn even went off. The play was ruled as no goal immediately though by the officials. Maryland’s Josh Nixon continued his hot offense, opening the scoring with 5:51 remaining in the opening period. Up to this point, Nixon had scored all three of Maryland’s goals on the weekend against the Tomahawks. The Black Bears took their lead with them through the remainder of the period and come back for the 2nd period with their first lead of the weekend.

The lead wouldn’t last long for the Black Bears as Holt Oliphant did find the back of the net this time, scoring only 15 seconds into the middle frame. Up to this point, both sides had set yesterday’s aggression aside and focused on playing the game. Things started to heat up just a little bit in the 2nd period as there were a few penalties called to each team. 13:44 into the period, Maryland regained their lead as Reid Leibold added on another goal for the Black Bears, making it 2-1. The Tomahawks were hard at working in an attempt to tie things back up again with eight shots on goal in the period, but the period eventually ended with Maryland ahead by one again, going into the final 20 minutes of the weekend matchup.

Maryland took an early penalty to begin the 3rd period and send the Tomahawks power play unit back to work. Maryland’s penalty kill unit would prevail, killing off the penalty. Exactly seven minutes later, Jay Ahearn drew a penalty, sending Cam Gaudette to the box for Maryland, to give the Tomahawks another power play. 30 seconds into the power play, William Persson scored off a pass from Jay Ahearn to tie the game back up for the Hawks. Just a minute and a half later Max Neill scored his sixth goal of the season which gave the Tomahawks their first lead of the night. Four minutes later the game got tied right back up as Garrett Szydlowski scored his fifth goal of the season to tie things back up with only 3:33 remaining in regulation. The goal would be the last of the period and with threes across the board, the Tomahawks and Black Bears were headed to overtime.

Overtime wouldn’t last long as Will Margel scored only 1:03 in the sudden death five minute overtime period off a pass from defenseman Caden Lewandowski to end the weekend for the Tomahawks with another win over the Black Bears by a score of 4-3.

The Tomahawks are back again next weekend at 1ST SUMMIT ARENA to face off against the Northeast Generals on Friday, March 19 and Saturday, March 20. Tickets are available online at or by calling/visiting the Tomahawks front office.