JOHNSTOWN, Penn. – The Robert Morris Colonials fell to the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks 4-2 in the College Hockey Classic, the first-ever Division I hockey game held at 1ST SUMMIT ARENA.
RMU opened the scoring early, with Darcy Walsh converting on a 2-on-1 odd-man rush to put the Colonials up 1-0 three minutes in. Each team traded chances for the remainder of the period, with both goalies doing their part keep it a one goal game. RMU goalie, Dyllan Lubbesmeyer, made an excellent save on Ontario Tech’s Josh Maguire, slamming the door on the shorthanded breakaway shot towards the end of the opening frame.
The Colonials added to their lead 54 seconds into the 2nd period, thanks to a goal from Aidan Spellacy. But it was all Ontario Tech after that, starting with a goal by Tyson McConnell. Less than a minute later, Jack Patterson snuck one in to tie the game at two. Then came a power play tally courtesy of Pierre Luc Lurette, followed by a goal from Josh Maguire 33 seconds later. Once the dust settled, it was Ontario Tech leading 4-2 after two periods.
The Ridgebacks stood tall defensively, not allowing the Colonials to answer back in the third period. Even after several power play chances and pulling their goalie for the extra attacker, RMU was unable to respond Ontario Tech’s four unanswered goals.
1st Period Recap
- 3:00 RMU goal scored by Darcy Walsh, assisted by Kip Hoffmann.
2nd Period Recap
- 0:54 RMU goal scored by Aidan Spellacy, assisted by Roman Kraemer and Sean Giles.
- 10:49 Ontario Tech goal scored by Tyson McConnell, assisted by Cody Grant and Nicolas Tardif.
- 11:33 Ontario Tech goal scored by Jack Patterson, assisted by Cody Grant and Mattieu Gomercic.
- 16:04 Ontario Tech power play goal scored by Pierre Luc Lurette, assisted by Noah McMullin.
- 16:37 Ontario Tech goal scored by Nicolas Tardif, assisted by Josh Maguire.
3rd Period Recap
Final Shots on Goal: RMU Colonials (36) | Ontario Tech Ridgebacks (24)