JOHNSTOWN – The Johnstown Tomahawks battled back in the third period to conquer the Jamestown Rebels 2-1 in a shootout Friday night at 1st Summit Arena.
1st Period Recap
- The Rebels cashed in early in the first period on the power play with a goal from Antonio Venuto, his 11th.
- Johnstown did have several high-quality scoring chances including a breakaway opportunity from Bennett Stockdale and a double-post shot from Carson Brière.
- The Rebels held the fort in the first period to head into the intermission up 1-0
Shots on Goal After the First Period: Johnstown (12) | Jamestown (7)
2nd Period Recap
- The Tomahawks once again encountered the ping sound of the crossbar as Chad Merrell has a chance to tie the game at 1-1 but hit iron.
- Both Tomahawks goalie Carter McPhail and Rebels goalie Ryan Keane made key saves to keep the score at 1-0 heading into the second intermission.
Shots on Goal After the Second Period: Johnstown (19) | Jamestown (18)
3rd Period Recap:
- After numerous chances, the Tomahawks finally cracked Keane just seven minutes into the third period as Cameron Hebert backhanded a puck past the sprawled out goaltender to tie the game at 1-1.
- Johnstown pressed in the third period but neither team was able to score the rest of regulation.
- The Rebels outshot the Tomahawks three to one as both squad came up empty in the overtime period.
- Joey Kile scored the game winner in the shootout as McPhail stopped all three Rebels shooters en route to his 20th win of teh season.
Final Shots on Goal: Johnstown (27) | Jamestown (29)
Johnstown is back on home ice February 2 for Chopper’s birthday celebration along with mascot mania and other kid-themed activities throughout the night.