JOHNSTOWN, Penn. – The Johnstown Tomahawks used a big third period to come back and defeat the Maryland Black Bears in overtime.
The Tomahawks struck early, with Christian Gorscak scoring his ninth goal of the season a little less than three minutes into the game. Then, less than 40 seconds later, Brendan Blair would net his third goal of the season to extend Johnstown’s lead to 2-0. Maryland would answer back around halfway through the opening period, with Reid Leibold scoring his first goal of the year.
However, special teams were the story of the second period. A minute and a half in, and with Johnstown on the powerplay, Jackson Sterrett scored a shorthanded goal to tie the game at two. Then the Black Bears would strike twice on the powerplay, with Aden Bruich tallying both goals. The Tomahawks had two chances on the powerplay themselves, but were unable to convert either time.
Johnstown was able to comeback in the third period, with Max Kouznetsov scoring his to tie the game at four.
Maryland committed a penalty with 1.3 seconds left in regulation, ensuring that Johnstown would be on the powerplay heading into overtime. They made sure to put that to good use, with Malik Alishlalov scoring his second of the season to win the game for the Tomahawks.
With the win, Johnstown remains in second place in the East with 32 points. New Jersey defeated Maine to remain atop the division, while Wilkes-Barre/Scranton beat Jamestown, and Northeast was off.
1st Period Recap
- 17:46 Johnstown goal scored by Christian Gorscak on the powerplay, assisted by Malik Alishlalov Chris Trouba.
- 17:07 Johnstown goal scored by Brendan Blair, assisted by Drew Murphy and Colin Price.
- 10:21 Maryland goal scored by Reid Leibold, assisted by Anthony Mollica and Aden Bruich.
2nd Period Recap
- 18:30 Maryland shorthanded goal scored by Jackson Sterrett, assisted by Andrew Remer.
- 15:29 Maryland goal scored on the powerplay by Aiden Bruich, assisted by Brayden Stannard and Thomas Jarman.
- 5:49 Maryland goal scored on the powerplay by Aiden Bruich, assisted by Brayden Stannard and Hampus Rydqvist.
3rd Period Recap
- 17:17 Johnstown goal scored by Max Kouznetsov, assisted by Tristan Poissant.
- 8:42 Johnstown goal scored by Max Kouznetsov, assisted by Christian Gorscak and Tristan Poissant.
- 3:26 Johnstown overtime powerplay goal scored by Malik Alishlalov, assisted by Tristan Poissant and Christian Gorscak.
Final Shots on Goal count: Johnstown Tomahawks (26) | Maryland Black Bears (29)
Three Stars of the Game:
- Max Kouznetsov, Johnstown
- Malik Alislalov, Johnstown
- Christian Gorscak, Johnstown
The Tomahawks will conclude their home series against the Black Bears tomorrow night, November 23rd. It will also be the fan favorite “Star Wars Night”, with fans receiving a souvenir lightsaber giveaway.
Tickets are available in-person at the 1ST SUMMIT ARENA Box Office and online at www.1stSummitArena.com/go/Tomahawks.
Johnstown will then head on the road November 29th and 30th to face the Jamestown Rebels at Northwest Arena.