MIDDLETOWN, New Jersey – The Johnstown Tomahawks fell to the New Jersey Titans, 6-2, in another East Division showdown.
The Titans wasted little time, with Kyle Jeffers scoring 14 seconds into the game to give New Jersey the early 1-0 lead. The Tomahawks had several chances on the power play to tie the game, but failed to convert each time.
Special teams played a big part in the second period as well. Spencer DenBeste scored a shorthanded goal, his 13th of the year, to tie the game at one. However, less than a minute later, the Titans responded with a power play goal courtesy of Chris Garbe. Josef Glamos and Matthew Iasenza (on the power play) also scored in the period to increase New Jersey’s lead to 4-1.
The Titans would continue to add to their lead in the third period. Chris Garbe scored his second of the night a little over three minutes in, and Mitch Machlitt added a power play tally over a minute later. Carson Grainer would score his second of the year for Johnstown to cut the lead to 6-2, but it proved to be too little too late.
With the loss, Johnstown remains in second place in the East with 38 points. In addition to tonight’s win, New Jersey also won on Wednesday night against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. This increases their division lead to 45 points.
1st Period Recap
- 0:14 New Jersey goal scored by Kyle Jeffers, unassisted.
2nd Period Recap
- 4:13 Johnstown shorthanded goal scored by Spencer DenBeste, unassisted.
- 6:00 New Jersey power play goal scored by Chris Garbe, unassisted.
- 10:14 New Jersey goal scored by Josef Glamos, unassisted.
- 17:53 New Jersey power play goal scored by Matthew Iasenza, assisted by Mitch Machlitt and Matt Cameron.
3rd Period Recap
- 3:16 New Jersey goal scored by Chris Garbe, assisted by Mitch Machlitt and Kyle Jeffers.
- 4:31 New Jersey power play goal scored by Mitch Machlitt, assisted by Michael Outzen and Matt Cameron.
- 5:40 Johnstown goal scored by Carson Grainer, assisted by Carson Gallagher.
Final Shots on Goal count: Johnstown Tomahawks (32) | New Jersey Titans (31)
Three Stars of the Game:
- Chris Garbe, New Jersey
- Kyle Jeffers, New Jersey
- Mitch Machlitt, New Jersey
The Tomahawks will finish up their weekend series against the New Jersey Titans tomorrow, December 14th. They then return home on Wednesday, December 18th to face the Jamestown Rebels on a “kids eat free” night.
After that, the Tomahawks will be back at home December 30th and 31st against the Maine Nordiques. Monday night will be our Holiday Music Fest, featuring local bands playing all of your favorite holiday hits. Then, on Tuesday night, join us as we ring in the New Year as part of our New Year’s Eve Celebration.
Tickets are available in-person at the 1ST SUMMIT ARENA Box Office and online at www.1stSummitArena.com/go/Tomahawks.